Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Foxy Ladies

I'm lucky to have a great commute.  It takes about 15-20 minutes of my day and it is a nice time to relax and enjoy the views of the mountains, etc.  I pride myself on the fact that I don't text and drive.  Don't get me wrong, I think texting is fine and all (albeit a bit overused) - I just think there is a time and place.  I'm so glad that I use my morning and evening commute to simply drive.  I listen to the radio and I'm always on the lookout for anything interesting.  Every day, I drive by a farm in North Ogden, where I spot deer frequently.  Tuesday, I saw something a bit different in the field.  The hay had recently been cut, and I spotted an animal perched on the far side.  At first, I drove by and simply wondered what I saw.  Then, it was killing me.  The more I thought about it, the more I thought I saw a coyote.  I flipped around and parked my truck next to the field.  I keep a pair of binoculars in my pickup, so I grabbed them and jumped in the bed of the truck for a better look.  There saw a beautiful red fox, staring at something intently.  Excitedly, I went home and grabbed Emily and the kids and we returned with our camera.  Things got even better when I realized what mommy fox was staring at:  She had a den nearby, with at least 3 pups (aka kits) playing about.  I was able to snag a few precious photos:




Meanwhile, the mom watched me carefully.  Eventually, I made her nervous, and she let out a VERY loud bark, and disappeared into the trees.  I didn't get a great shot of her, but she is beatiful, I tell you.  She is very blonde, for a red fox.  That is likely why I mistook her for a coyote originally.

Update:  The foxes were there again this morning.  I sure hope they stick around.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

hmmm. i was hoping for a picture of "emily and the kids". but those foxes are cool too. i guess.

Brandon said...

I refuse to apologize for not blogging like a housewife. I still maintain that the true purpose of blogs is for misfit radicals on the fringe of society to express thier anti-social ideals. When did blogging become so effeminate? I like my blogging to be old school: crazy people ranting about things only a few people care about. Had the unibomber lived in the age of blogging, he would have been epic.

Thank you.

cathy said...

I like this post-the foxes are beautiful-what farm is this? I love the spring-early summer and seeing all the new babies---you seem to be developing a soft(sensitive) heart hmmmmm........

Kelli said...

i didn't ask for an apology. just a picture of emily and the kids.

nettie said...

Cool. Foxes are way cooler than coyotes. I think Kelli was just mistaken by the title, she expected Emily to be the only foxy lady in your life.