Saturday, January 24, 2009

In-Awe-Guration


As most of you know, I attended President Obama's Inauguration. My friend and Neighbor, Cody Watson, got the tickets by emailing Senator Bennett shortly after the election. When his wife didn't want to go, I jumped in. Fortunately, I have a buddy who lives in DC who offered to let us stay with him. So, I used some of my hard-earned frequent flier miles and set off for quite the adventure. In an attempt to keep myself eligible for the family inheritance, I tried for as long as possible to keep this little trip secret from my mother-in-law, but she found out shortly before I left. Pictures below:


This is me with my ticket. I waited in this mob for about 3 hours just to get to the security checkpoint. There were no toilets at this part, and it was the single most people I've ever seen in my life. I was quite the hero to these people, because I was tall enough to look over the crowd and report to the masses what was going on. They called me 'Tall Man'. I was also loaded with a bunch of granola bars, which I gave to some weary people. I kept telling them how I was a boy scout. Little did they know how prepared I really was. I had an orange juice bottle in my pocket that I was going to pee in, if I didn't get to a restroom soon. Fortunately, I never had to use it.



Here is a shot I got of the Obamas.*




A few things became clear to me while attending this event. First of all, the Democratic Party is odd. The place was packed with a bunch of Hippies (you know, the kind of people who throw paint on you if you wear fur), as well as fur-wearing people who seemed to believe they were at a Baptist revival. They were swaying back-and-forth and shouting 'Amen' periodically. They tended to repeat the last 3 words of each stanza form Obama's speech. I can still hear it now, "Unclench Your Fists", etc, etc.



These guys were on top of most buildings. I felt very safe with them there.



The highlight of my trip was when Pres. Bush boarded Marine 1 and flew directly over my head. For some reason, this really touched me. I felt bad that there were people mocking him. Every time they would show him on the TV screen, they would start singing, "Sha-na-na-na. Hey-hey-hey. Goooooodbye." I haven't been entirely pleased with G.W. Bush the past 4 years either, but I hated to see disrespect for the president.



Did I mention that people were everywhere?



This was my view of the event. In a strange way, I felt like I was at Woodstock. It was a total 'Kum-bay-ya' moment. People were crying, kissing, and hugging. After Obama's speech, I saw this chubby Black lady next to me with tears rolling down her cheeks. She just really looked like she needed a hug, so I gave her one.


Emily pointed out to me that I had a bunch of photos of the same thing, so I changed this one. This is my brother and I at the Lincoln Memorial at night. At this point, I was exausted. I began standing at 5:30 in the morning on the subway, and the first time I got to sit down was around 3:30 pm in Senator Bennett's office.


This was my first view. When I first got on the Mall, I headed to the back, to have a little elbow room. Eventually, I realized I couldn't see very well, and there was something (like a stand for TV Cameras) blocking my view of the action - so I moved around a bit and got much closer.



At night, they lit up the skies with these lights. It was obvious that they were Masonic symbols.



The White House. Notice the guards on top.


The place was a disaster. There were no garbage cans anywhere. Trash was piled ankle-high. Miraculously, I went back the next day and it was mostly cleaned up.




I took this picture for my buddy Tom Ferguson who seems to have a fixation on local TV reporters. I pushed Senator Chaffetz out of the way so I could meet this guy. I lied and told him I was a big fan. But I'm pretty sure he knew I was lying when I called him 'John Hollenhorst'. He corrected me and told me his name was 'Richard Piatt'. Meh.



Speaking of second-rate celebrities, here is Don King. It was SUCH an honor. I think he thinks he is a civil rights hero. He is really just an idiot.



Most of you know that if there is anything I love, it is mass-hysteria. I need little motivation to join in on any given craze. So, I had to jump in and buy some buttons. Believe it or not, I even paid full price for them. These kinds of guys were ALL OVER THE PLACE selling anything Obama-ish. I saw Obama shoes, Obama hot sauce, Obama incense and depictions of Obama hugging Martin Luther King, Jr. The craziest of the T-Shirts had Obama in a white robe singing Gospel, and depicted him as some kind of singing Messiah.

While there, we also visited 2 Smithsonian Museums and Manassas (aka Bull Run, the battlefield where the Civil War began). However, Emily dislikes my long posts, so I'll have to skip the pictures. i will leave with one more, as it shows the 4 of us who endured the Inaugural craziness.



Clockwise from left is me, Dan Webber (mission companion and DC resident), Cody Watson (neighbor with the tix and speed-walker extraordinaire) and my brother Trent. Trent drove down from Pittsburgh when he heard I was in town. For some reason, he wore camouflage pants and a hooded sweatshirt, and looked very much like either a uni bomber-type figure or someone looking to distribute religious material.


* OK, as you may have guessed, these guys were Barack and Michelle look-alikes.

9 comments:

Trent Mason said...

Brandon, your blog now has officially become "masonology" in that your obsession with skylights being of the variety Masonic made its way into the post. I hated to tell you and Cody that they were just skylights and if they were Masonic in symbolism, there were about two to many signs of the square. Or, were they trying to form a giant "G" which so often appears in their iconography and they just got it wrong?

The trip was fun man! Please have Cody email me his picture of Don King which is the greatest picture in the history of pictures.

You and I had somehow very similar yet simultaneously very different experiences at the event. I was one of the people "locked out" of seeing the event, but this probably had to do with the fact that I intentionally dressed as if I were either a recently dishonorably discharged veteran or possibly Simon Peter of biblical fame in a Steelers hoodie.

I can only hope that when these people (meaning the tax and spend liberals) are running my health care, that they do a better job than they did with the chaotic inauguration... Why am I worried?

I went to hang out with my brother in a rare backdrop of one of the greatest to-date civil rights moments in our brief American experience. I also wanted to be a part of something insane, larger than myself, see Black Panthers fight in the street with Kenyan immigrants and eat great Soul Food and possibly Tai food. As the now embattled and battered former President Bush once so eloquently stated: mission accomplished!

P.S. Where are your photos of your favorite phallic symbol, the Washington Monument? You should put those on the blog!

P.P.S Our blog is no longer called Masons'n'the burg as it says on the right side of your blog.

Kelli said...

the barak memoribilia is out of hand. why would i want a commemorative obama plate to display on my coffee table? why?

and it has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with my disdain for unabashed money making and ugly commemorative plates propped upright.

jamie k said...

i like long posts...well, any post on this blog will do. your inheritance just might have been cut in half.

i'm surprised your little bro didn't go, being that he served his mission there and all. remember how he knew my roommates family in the very ghetto of dc?

Ferguson Family said...

Thanks for the Richard Piatt photo, that would have definately been the highlight of my experience rivaling only my chance encounter with Carole Mikita. If only I could meet Dick Nourse I would then consider my life complete. Trent, I'm leaning more towards the uni-bomber than Simon-Peter. Sounds like a good time! I wish you'd have brought me home an Obama t-shirt since we're blood brothers and all.

Ashley said...

That was a great post! Very witty, interesting, informative and entertaining. Great pictures, too. I almost feel like I was there...

Mary said...

You're so sensitive to hug that lady Brandon. That was sweet. Ha Ha, makes me laugh thinking about it...

Anonymous said...

Brandon, What a great trip. I hope that it is mearly coincidence that we have barely spoken since then and that I did not offend you too much with my speedwalking and what-not. Thanks for the great time, I only have great memories of this trip. Trent, those were blatent Masonic symbols meant to be nothing but. That place is FULL of them!

Cody

Heather said...

I am laughing so hard - you are too funny! It would have been so cool to attend, I am glad you had the chance to go. I hope you still get that inheritance - I'll cross my fingers for you...

Jeff Nielsen said...

where i only had love for you before, mason, i now find that i have swelling respect. if you ever have a relapse of liberalism, please feel free to come by my house and help my wife and i grow gay babies from stem cells in our basement (our secret: a dash of shredded bible!)