Monday, November 14, 2011

Things Big and Scary

Halloween may have been weeks ago, but I am going to attempt to re-create the mood today by showcasing some of our 'scary' encounters in nature this fall.  First off, check out this wasp/hornet's nest we came across recently:

That thing is hanging about 15 feet in the air and is just bigger than a basketball.  Yikes!


 This little guy was hiding out next to my neighbor's garbage can the other day.  That is my foot in the bottom-right of the picture.  Just for some perspective, I wear a size 14 shoe and that is one of those big boxes they put apples and such in.

I actually like spiders, and I think it is cool that we live in the far northern edge of a tarantula's range.  They are most active (and likely to be seen) in September/October when the males go all nomadic in search of a mate.  Hey, you can't fault a guy for that - so, we only kept him in the box long enough to take a picture, then set him loose in the foothills above my house.


This below, my friends, is a photograph taken while Emily and I were attending our second annual Bigfoot Show (yes, you read that correctly).  The sculpture behind Emily is allegedly a life-sized creation of a Sasquatch.  I really enjoyed the show, but I remain unconvinced that a large hominid roams the wilderness undetected.  However, I REALLY wished I would have taken a picture of the Bigfoot feces that was on display at the show.  The finder of said feces claims that it was found about 5 miles from my house.   Ooooooohhhh!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

um that spider is so freaky. i would not be happy finding that monster by my house.

jamie k said...

ick. my friend saw a tarantula in our neighborhood. sick.