Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Jungle Trek

One of our favorite activities on Kauai was a 5-hour kayak/hike adventure we took to 'Secret Falls'. We, along with about 9 other people, were led from the coast inland toward our destination. It was a guided tour, which was OK. For some reason, however, I couldn't handle the fact that this guide was trying to actually 'guide' us. I REALLY wanted him to know that I was a kayak owner, and that I am also an avid hiker. Emily told me I sounded like a 6-year-old know-it all for most of the day. In retrospect, she was right.



Setting off on the Wailua River. The guide had the audacity to try to tell me how to paddle.

Eventually, we headed down a more narrow fork of the river.




Then, we began trekking through the jungle (I totally could have done this without being guided).



The trail crossed the river in a few places. (I totally didn't need the rope. The guide and I got into a little argument when I tried veering off the trail here.)

Anyone ever heard of a walking tree? When our guide was telling us about them, I actually listened to him.




Trudging on through the jungle. This was soooo easy for me.



When we got to the falls, Emily needed to pee REALLY bad. I captured the moment.



This may look like us posing in front of the falls, but it is really an excuse for Emily to relieve herself. I joined her to save face.

 
Then, I stayed for a swim.

Sensing that I was an experienced outdoorsman, Dave and Sarah joined me behind the falls (note that Dave was experiencing severe nipple irritation). Wild horses couldn't drag Emily any further into the water than that. Her reluctance to re-enter the pool made me seriously question whether she had merely peed out there - or done something more sinister.

*Note from Emily: Eventually, I joined the party and had fun swimming under the falls.
**Note from Brandon: Even though I stood under 120 feet of falling water, I still felt the need to shower when I got home.

5 comments:

Ferguson Family said...

Oh how I love Hawaii. Is that a log I see floating in the water...or..

Kelli said...

that waterfall is so cool! i want to do this!
emily you hiked the whole thing in flip flops?

nettie said...

6 year old know it all...hahaha

Emily said...

Really, people! I just peed

Yes, I hiked in flip-flops. I didn't really want to, but the only other shoes I had were my good running shoes and knowing we were going to cross a river I didn't want them to get ruined. The locals (hippies) do it in bare feet, our guide used to do it every day in bare feet until he broke his toe, now he wears teva's. So, I figured I could do it in flip-flops, it really wasn't that bad. Chaco's would have been perfect.

jamie k said...

cute suit em.