Saturday, May 28, 2011

Nā Pali Coast

Bear (or is it Bare, I seriously don't know) with me - this Hawaii thing is almost over.  Soon, I can move on to writing the blog I really want to write: The one where I mock my brother-in-law, Andy, publicly about his baldness and his inability to recognize literary masterpieces when he sees them.  In the mean time...

Behind us is the Nā Pali Coast.  It is one entire side of Kauai that is inaccessible to motor vehicles and remains completely undeveloped.  You can't drive there, but there is a great trail that runs along it.  11 miles, with beaches, waterfalls, etc. along the way.

This is view of the coast is from Ke'e Beach.  The snorkeling is fantastic here, as the beach is surrounded by a cool reef.  There were 4 sea turtles always swimming just off shore.  Besides the turtles, I loved seeing the parot fish, eels, and humuhumunukunukuapua'a.  (alright, I admit.  That last sentence was just an excuse for me to use the word humuhumunukunukuapua'a).

Looking down from the trail onto Ke'e Beach.  Note the reef I mentioned above.

I felt way better about myself when hiking without a guide.

This was our destination.  Kalalau Beach.

Hippies have made these dumb rock shrines in various places around the island.  Note the freak doing yoga at the top.  I bet he hasn't showered in months.

Dave and I found a small cave.

We intended to swim here, but the surf was treacherous.

Emily and Sarah on the beach.  They will use this photo for their Book Club show-and-tell.

Cooling off in the river, prior to making the return trip.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Why have you not blogged until now? This is solid gold. I'm loving this.

Dave and Sarah Est. 2001 said...

Way to incorporate humuhumunukunukuap'whatevah it was called.

Kelli said...

emily you look so good! like you ran a half marathon...oh yeah, you did. feel free to blog that too! and what do your kids look like?